2018 Contest Information:
Heads up Eighth Graders!! !! You and an eighth grade buddy could win a trip to Youth Power Energy Camp this summer. IEC covers all expenses related to the camp including transportation to and from Camp Canyon.
2017 Energy Camp Video
Each year, IEC joins the Oklahoma Association of Electric Cooperatives and electric cooperatives from across the state in sponsoring the Youth Power Energy Camp at Camp Canyon near Hinton, OK. The camp is designed to help students develop leadership skills while having lots of fun.
By forming their own cooperative business, students learn about leadership and business while interacting with other eighth graders from across the state.
Safety demonstrations are put on by linemen and students get a chance to try their hand at riding bucket trucks and climbing poles.
And that’s not all – campers start the summer out right by making new friends and taking part in a variety of activities including volleyball, swimming, ping pong, hiking, and a special day trip to Celebration Station in Oklahoma City for go-carts, bumper boats, arcade games, pizza, and more.
Two teams will be selected from the submitted essays to represent the cooperative at Energy Camp.
Individual essay entries are acceptable if a teammate is not available.
Team essays and forms are due to Clara Eulert at IEC, PO Box 49, Cleveland, OK 74020, by Noon on Tuesday, January 30, 2018.
Youth Power Energy Camp will take place May 29 – June 1, 2018.
Students classified as Eighth Grade students at the following schools are eligible to participate in the IEC Youth Power Energy Camp contest. Home schooled eighth equivalents must reside in the IEC’s service area. It is not necessary that the student’s parents/guardians be members of Indian Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Children of IEC employees and IEC Trustees are NOT eligible to participate in the Youth Tour competition.
- Frontier/Red Rock
- Sand Springs
Two teams of two eighth graders each, from IEC’s service area will receive an all-expenses paid trip, including roundtrip transportation to a four day camp as winners of the Youth Power Energy Camp Contest.
- A team of two students or individual student must currently be classified as eighth grade students attending a school in IEC’s service area. Home schooled eighth grade equivalents must reside in the IEC’s service area. It is not necessary for the parents/guardians of the students to be members of Indian Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- The writing team will be required to write an essay of at least 300 words in length, on the topic: “How Will Electric Cars Affect Electric Cooperatives and the National Electric Grid?” The essay must include your understanding of an electric cooperative and express your opinion on the topic.
- Essays are to be written legibly or typed, double spaced on only one side of the paper. Each page should be numbered in the top right corner and include site references.
- Attach a completed entry form for each team member to your essay. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAMES ON THE ESSAY. All judging is done on an anonymous basis.
- Essays will be judged on the basis of (1) knowledge of subject, 40%; (2) originality, 30%; (3) composition, 15%; (4) grammar, spelling & punctuation, 15%.
- Deadline for all essays will be Noon on Tuesday, January 30, 2018.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
- Children of IEC employees and IEC Trustees are NOT eligible to participate in the Youth Power Energy Camp competition.
Youth Power Energy Camp dates are May 29 – June 1, 2018.
- Download Printable Copy of 2018 Official Rules (PDF)
- Download Printable Copy of 2018 Official Entry Form (PDF)
- Download Printable Copy of Co-op Questions and Answers (PDF)
- Download Printable Copy of 2018 Youth Resource Manual (PDF) ~4MB
The web sites below contain facts, figures and stories that may be helpful as you prepare your essay. IEC in no way endorses these sites or the companies and organizations they represent. It is the responsibility of each contestant to verify the accuracy of all facts and figures found within these materials.
HISTORY OF AMERICAN ELECTRIC COOPERATIVES
For more information contact:
Clara Eulert (firstname.lastname@example.org)
IEC Youth Tour and Energy Camp Coordinator
P.O. Box 49
Cleveland, OK 74020
Monday – Thursday 6:30am – 5:00pm