Congratulation 2016 Winners:
Hadley Jensen – Washington D.C. Youth Tour Winner
Beecher Owens – Washington D.C. Youth Tour Winner
Kasandra Stokes – Colorado Cooperative Youth Leadership Camp
Zach Young – Colorado Cooperative Youth Leadership Camp
2016 Oklahoma Youth Tour Video
If you are a high school junior in the Indian Electric Cooperative service area, you could be a winner of the Rural Electric Cooperative Youth Tour to Washington, D.C. for a week during June. It’s free, it’s exciting and it’s fun! You’ll join some 1500 high school juniors from across the United States to have fun learning more about government, rural electrification, leadership and electric cooperatives. The trip begins with a “Get Acquainted Banquet” in Oklahoma City, where everyone has an evening of fun. After arriving in Washington, D.C., the tour of our nation’s capitol includes days filled with sightseeing, a riverboat trip on the Potomac and breakfast with Oklahoma’s Congressional delegation. Students also attend a series of educational seminars to learn more about government, the cooperative form of business, and the business of rural electrification.
Indian Electric sponsors an annual essay or DVD video contest to select two students who will represent IEC as well as the state of Oklahoma during the Washington D.C. Youth Tour trip. IEC also selects two runners-up who win a trip to Cooperative Youth Leadership Camp (CYLC) in July. CYLC is in Glen Eden, Colorado, near Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
OBJECTIVES OF YOUTH TOUR
The Youth Tour has three main objectives:
- To educate youths on all aspects of rural electrification in order to promote a better understanding of the value of rural electric cooperatives.
- To provide an opportunity for youth to visit monuments, government buildings and cooperative-related organizations in order to become familiar with the historical and political environment of their nation’s capital.
- To provide an opportunity for youth to meet elected officials in order to better understand how their federal government works.
2017 YOUTH TOUR CONTEST INFORMATION:
The 2017 Youth Tour will take place on June 9 through 15.
Students classified as High School Juniors at the following schools are eligible to participate in the IEC Youth Tour Contest.
Children of IEC employees and IEC Trustees are NOT eligible to participate in the Youth Tour competition.
- Frontier/Red Rock
- Sand Springs
Two juniors from IEC’s service area will receive an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. as winners of the Youth Tour Contest.
- Students must currently be classified as high school juniors attending a school or home schooled in IEC’s service area. It is not necessary that the student’s parents be members of Indian Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Contestants will be required to write and present an essay of 500 – 1000 words in length OR create and present a 3-5 minute DVD video on the topic: “The Balance: The Future of Electric Cooperatives and Distributed Generation of Renewable Energy”. Support your opinion regarding distributed generation as it relates to electric cooperatives. The entry must include an explanation of an electric cooperative.
- Essays must be typed and double spaced on only one side of the paper. Each page should be numbered in the top right corner and include site references.
- DVD video entries must submit 4 DVD copies of the video. Submit source reference in writing.
- Attach a completed entry form to your essay or DVD envelope. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THE ESSAY or the DVD. All judging is done on an anonymous basis.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of (1) knowledge of subject – 40%; (2) originality – 30%;
(3) composition – 15%; (4) grammar, Spelling & Punctuation – 15%.
- Deadline for all entries is Noon on Monday, February 6, 2017. Be sure to keep a copy of your entry for your use should you be selected as a finalist.
- Four finalists will be selected to give oral presentations of their entries during the Youth Tour banquet in the spring. Judges will award the Washington D.C. trip to the two highest scoring finalists following the oral presentations. Runners-Up win a trip to Cooperative Youth Leadership Camp near Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
- Children of IEC employees and IEC Trustees are NOT eligible to participate in the Youth Tour competition.
Dates for the 2017 Youth Tour are June 9-15, 2017.
Dates for the 2017 Cooperative Youth Leadership Camp are July 14-21, 2017.
The web sites below contain facts, figures and stories that may be helpful as you prepare your essay. IEC in no way endorses these sites or the companies and organizations they represent. It is the responsibility of each contestant to verify the accuracy of all facts and figures found within these materials.
RENEWABLE ENERGY (Distributed Generation)
HISTORY OF AMERICAN ELECTRIC COOPERATIVES
For more information contact:
Clara Eulert (firstname.lastname@example.org)
IEC Youth Tour Coordinator
P.O. Box 49
Cleveland, OK 74020
Monday – Thursday 6:30am – 5:00pm