Teachers receive financial recognition grant for top 4 finalists of Washington, D.C. Youth Tour Competition.
Two juniors from IEC’s service area will receive, the all-expense paid tour of Washington, D.C., June 14-21, 2021, as winners of the Youth Tour Essay contest.
2019 Youth Tour Winners, Sydney Hodson and Cheyenne Leach at the Capital, Washington, DC.
2019 OK Youth Tour Group at the Capital, Washington, D. C.
Watch the 2019 Oklahoma Youth Tour Trip video for a glimpse of what you’ll experience while on Youth Tour.
The Youth Tour has three main objectives:
- To educate youths on all aspects of rural electrification in order to promote a better understanding of the value of rural electric cooperatives.
- To provide an opportunity for youth to visit monuments, government buildings and cooperative-related organizations in order to become familiar with the historical and political environment of their nation’s capital.
- To provide an opportunity for youth to meet elected officials in order to better understand how their federal government works.
YOUTH TOUR ESSAY CONTEST INFORMATION AND ELIGIBLE SCHOOLS and homeschooled students in these school districts:
- Cleveland,Pawnee, Woodland, Mannford, Olive, Hominy, Yale, Frontier/Red Rock, Prue, Wynona, Pawhuska, Sand Springs, Shidler, Cushing, Jennings, Drumright, Oilton and Morrison.
2021 Washington, D.C. Youth Tour
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES:
Two juniors from IEC’s service area will participate in the Youth Leadership Council State Representative interview, and receive, the all-expense paid tour of Washington, D.C., June 14-21, 2021, as winners of the Youth Tour Essay Contest.
- Students must currently be classified as high school juniors attending a school in the IEC’s service area. Homeschooled junior equivalents must reside in IEC’s service area. It is not necessary that the student’s parents be members of Indian Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Contestants will be required to write and present an essay of 500 – 1000 words in length promoting the topic: “What is an Electric Cooperative? The Mission, the Members and More.”
- Essays must site references. Essays are to be typed, doubled-spaced and one-sided. Pages are to be numbered in the top right corner.
- Attach a completed entry form to your essay. Do not put your name on the essay. All judging is done on an anonymous basis.
- IEC supplies entry form, complete contest rules, and reference materials, including the IEC History on our website, www.iecok.com, Washington, D.C. Youth Tour. Students are encouraged to use other resources to gain information on the topic.
- Entries will be judged based on (1) knowledge of subject – 40%; (2) originality – 30%;
(3) composition – 15%; (4) grammar, spelling and punctuation – 15%.
- Deadline for all entries is Noon on Monday, January 11, 2021. Be sure to keep a copy of your entry for your use should you be selected as a finalist.
- Four finalists will be selected to give an oral presentation of their entry during the Youth Tour banquet in the February. Judges will award the Youth Tour to Washington, D.C. trip to the two highest scoring finalists following the oral presentations. Runners-Up win a trip to Cooperative Youth Leadership Camp Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
Washington D.C. Youth Tour winners are eligible to win a free trip back to Washington DC in July as the OK Youth Leadership Council (YLC) representative. All Youth Leadership Council (YLC) interviews are held the day before leaving on Youth Tour to D.C. in June, during the junior year. YLC is a leadership conference and tour of additional sites in Washington D.C. YLC is also the competition to select the National YLC Representative. The state and national YLC Representative distinction is an honor. It enhances your resume and may open doors in your future. The Oklahoma YLC representative has one (1) speaking engagement during their senior year at the OK Association of Electric Cooperatives annual meeting in OKC. The National YLC Representative has one (1) additional speaking engagement at the National Association of Electric Cooperatives meeting. The location and date of the national meeting is announced in Washington, D.C. during the July YLC conference.Youth Tour Runners-Up are eligible to win a free trip back to Colorado Leadership Camp following the senior year of high school as a camp ambassador. Ambassador applications are submitted at the Colorado Camp in July.
- Decisions of the judges are final.
- Children of IEC employees and IEC Trustees are eligible to participate in the Youth Tour competition.
Travel Dates, JUNE 14-21, 2021: 2021 Youth Tour to Washington, D.C.
Travel Dates, JULY 15-23, 2021: 2021 Cooperative Youth Leadership Camp Steamboat Springs, CO.
The web sites below contain facts, figures and stories that may be helpful as you prepare your entry. IEC in no way endorses these sites or the companies and organizations they represent. It is the responsibility of each contestant to verify the accuracy of all facts and figures found within these materials.
- HISTORY OF AMERICAN ELECTRIC COOPERATIVES
For more information contact:
Clara Eulert (firstname.lastname@example.org)
IEC Youth Tour Coordinator
P.O. Box 49
Cleveland, OK 74020
Monday – Thursday 6:30am – 5:00pm